Barcelona Hostels Near Sagrada Familia

sagradafamiliaOne of the most iconic structures in the city of Barcelona is its unfinished Gaudi cathedral, the Sagrada Familia. Its odd-looking towers are visible from many parts of the city (as are the construction cranes which hover over the building), and a visit to Barcelona isn’t complete without at least a stroll around the imposing structure. Though some think touring the unfinished interior isn’t worth the cost, the exterior is mesmerizing – not to mention free.

What you’ll hear over and over from people who have been to Barcelona is that while it’s good to spend some time looking at the Sagrada Familia cathedral during daylight hours so you can really pick out the detail, the cathedral is almost more interesting as an attraction at night when it’s lit up. And perhaps the best way to ensure that you’ll get a chance to see the famous church several times during your Barcelona trip is to book a room in one of these hostels near Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.

Keep in mind that in Spain, there are a couple different kinds of accommodation that have similar-looking words – “hostel” and “hostal.” The former is more what you’d think of as the traditional hostel with dorm-style sleeping arrangements, etc. A hostal, on the other hand, is typically more like a guest house. Both are considered budget accommodation options, so there’s a guest house and a hostal on this list as well.

>> For more choices, browse over to our more complete listings for Barcelona hostels.

Barcelona Hostels Near Sagrada Familia

Barcelona Urbany Hostel

The Barcelona Urbany Hostel is one of the closest to the Sagrada Familia church at about a five-minute walk away. There are other attractions close by as well, including the bull ring, and there are both Metro and bus stops within two minutes of leaving the hostel’s front door. By public transport, you can be at most of the other big sights in Barcelona within 15 minutes.

Since this is a new hostel, you’ll find lots of modern perks with the usual hostel amenities. For instance, there’s free internet and Bluetooth in addition to free breakfast, free linens, and the free use of a fitness club right next door to the hostel. WiFi is available throughout the building for a fee.

Barcelona Rooms 294

Another budget spot close to the Sagrada Familia is Barcelona Rooms 294 (the number refers to the address, not the number of rooms!). It’s a five-minute walk from the cathedral, and there are three Metro stations within walking distance of the front door, making the entire city easy to reach quickly.

Barcelona Rooms is really a B&B rather than a hostel, so even if it doesn’t call itself a “hostal” you can kind of think of it more like that. Most of the rooms are private rooms which will accommodate 1-3 people, although there are some rooms for up to 6 people. Some rooms have private bathrooms while others share bathrooms. All rooms include free WiFi and free breakfast.

Hostal Felipe II

As mentioned earlier, some of the budget accommodation options you’ll find in Spain look like they misspelled the word hostel – but they didn’t. They’re hostals. Like the Hostal Felipe II, a short walk from the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. It is sometimes described as a hotel, but you can think of it lying somewhere between a 2-star budget hotel and a guest house.

The Hostal Felipe II was remodeled in 2005, and almost every one of the 21 rooms now feature WiFi or internet access. Not all of the rooms have en suite bathrooms, although some have sinks in the room. The rooms can accommodate between 1-3 people, depending on the room.

Padilla’s Guest House

Padilla’s Guest House is definitely on the small side of budget accommodation options, so if this one appeals to you you’ll want to book it quickly before the five rooms are full. It’s a short 100 meters from the Sagrada Familia, and close to 2 Metro stations for easy access to everything else in Barcelona.

There are 2 doubles, 2 singles, and 1 twin room available at Padilla’s, and all rooms come with free self-service breakfast, free linens, and free towels. There aren’t any private bathrooms, however, and guests of all 5 rooms share a total of 2 bathrooms.

Alberg La Ciutat

The Alberg La Ciutat hostel is a little further from the Sagrada Familia church, but it’s still only a 15-minute walk away. Plus, it’s 10 minutes on foot from the Parc Guell and only 15 minutes from the city center via the Metro or city buses.

There are both private and dorm-style rooms at the Alberg La Ciutat hostel, and all the rooms have private bathrooms en suite (they don’t include showers – those are shared, and located down the hall from the bedrooms). Internet access is free, as is breakfast.

photo by Wolfgang Staudt



Most popular hostels articles

Best Party Hostels in Rome

There are a million reasons to visit Rome - the history, the food, the art, the shopping, the food... And one of the things that's so great about a trip...

Read more
 

Budget Hotels Instead of Venice Hostels

Venice isn't a cheap city to visit, much less spend the night in - but in order to really experience the peaceful and even eerie side of this canal city,...

Read more
 

Best Party Hostels in New York

With a slogan like "the city that never sleeps," it's only fitting that many of the hostels in New York are popular for more than just their great location or...

Read more
 

Hostels in Rome Near the Train Station

There are plenty of places where you could spend a week - or even a month - taking in the sights non-stop and still have barely scratched the surface. Rome...

Read more
 

Venice Hostels on the Mainland

Most travel gurus recommend staying on the islands in Venice rather than the mainland if at all possible, especially if it's your first visit to the canal city, and there...

Read more
 

More articles