Best Rated Hostels in Los Angeles

hollywoodsignIt’s easy to dismiss Los Angeles as too crowded, too expensive, too polluted, and too big. And while all of those things may be true to some people, there are also some good reasons to visit L.A. – and plenty of ways to enjoy your visit. There’s something uniquely American about Los Angeles, from the fascination with fame and everything Hollywood to the urban sprawl and reliance on the automobile. But there are also pockets of more interesting culture in L.A. than the side one could describe as plastic or fake. Not only that, for young and active travelers, there are few cities that have as much to offer.

In Los Angeles, you can enjoy a day at the beach in beautiful oceanside towns such as Santa Monica and Venice Beach, while still being only a short trip from some of the country’s best party hotspots when the sun sets. There are amusement parks in the area if you want something more organized, and even places to go hiking or mountain biking if the surfing doesn’t appeal to you. And since you’re saving money on your lodging by staying at a hostel in L.A., you may be able to afford to do a little more than window shopping on Rodeo Drive!

Cities as big as Los Angeles are teeming with accommodation options, including a long list of hostels. The ones we’ve highlighted below are the best rated hostels in Los Angeles, as ranked by previous guests. As you might expect, they’re primarily located not in downtown L.A. but rather in the prettier surrounding area – and especially the beaches.

>> There are many more hostels where these came from, so to expand your selection you can browse through the listings of hostels in Los Angeles.

Best Rated Hostels in Los Angeles

USA Hostels Hollywood

The top-rated hostel in L.A., USA Hostels Hollywood, is right in Hollywood, so many of the city’s most famous sights are right in the neighborhood. A few of the attractions which are within walking distance include the Walk of Fame, Grauman’s Chinese Theatre, and the Kodak Theatre, not to mention some of the area’s best nightclubs. There are lots of freebies offered to guests of USA Hostels Hollywood, which is great for travelers on a budget. You can expect free linens & blankets, free all-you-can-make pancake breakfasts, free shuttle to the beach, free WiFi, and free tea and coffee all day long. Tours of the city and tickets to Universal Studios and Magic Mountain are available at a discount.

HI Los Angeles/Santa Monica

The HI Los Angeles/Santa Monica is one of those higly-rated hostels that’s not right in central L.A., but in (one could argue) a much more pleasant location. The hostel is one block away from Santa Monica’s beach, and the town center is small and pleasant to walk through even if you’re not on the beach itself. You’ll find plenty of activities and entertainment within walking distance, including lots of restaurants, bars, and shops. Because the hostel isn’t in Los Angeles proper, they do offer guided tours of the area at a low price for hostel guests, and they’re happy to help you sort out the public transport options to get into L.A. for the day as well. Guests enjoy free linens, towels, breakfast, and WiFi.

Venice Beach Cotel

Another top-rated hostel in Los Angeles is the Venice Beach Cotel right on the Venice Beach Boardwalk. The hostel’s been in business for more than 20 years, and remains one of the highest rated hostels in the area – so they’re definitely doing something right. In addition to being right on the boardwalk (and walking distance from muscle beach!), the hostel runs daily tours to Disneyland, Universal Studios, the Getty Museum, Magic Mountain, and even those tours of the stars’ homes – all at a discount. There are both private and dorm-style rooms, so you can choose the one that best fits your travel style and budget.

Surf City Hostel

Surf City Hostel is another of L.A.’s best-rated hostels that isn’t actually in L.A. It’s in tiny Hermosa Beach, roughly 20 minutes from Los Angeles Airport. The hostel’s been open since 1996, and enjoys a great location – it’s on the beach, and there’s plenty of the things travelers look for within walking distance, like restaurants, bars, night clubs, and movie theatres. You’ll also find public transportation isn’t far away, either, so you can get around the metropolitan area (perhaps with a little guidance from the hostel staff). Freebies at this hostel include free tea and coffee all day long, free WiFi, free movies you can watch in the hostel’s lounge, and even free loaner body boards you can take out into the water. The hostel also offers L.A. city tours at a discount.

Banana Bungalow Hollywood

The final hostel on this list is another Hollywood spot, the Banana Bungalow Hollywood. It is, in fact, right on Hollywood Boulevard and you can see the famous hillside Hollywood sign from the hostel courtyard. There are many attractions within walking distance from the hostel’s front door, and the hostel also organizes tours of Los Angeles and many of the area’s main sights. Guests enjoy free linens, free internet, free WiFi, free breakfast, free coffee/tea all day, and lots of free (or really cheap) parties held regularly at the hostel. There are both private rooms and dorm-style rooms available, but even the dorms have their own private bathrooms and kitchens. The hostel’s common areas will still tempt you from the comfort of your room, however, as there’s a great courtyard, a billiards room, and even an on-site movie theatre.

photo by MikeFinkelstein



Most popular hostels articles

Best Party Hostels in Rome

There are a million reasons to visit Rome - the history, the food, the art, the shopping, the food... And one of the things that's so great about a trip...

Read more
 

Budget Hotels Instead of Venice Hostels

Venice isn't a cheap city to visit, much less spend the night in - but in order to really experience the peaceful and even eerie side of this canal city,...

Read more
 

Best Party Hostels in New York

With a slogan like "the city that never sleeps," it's only fitting that many of the hostels in New York are popular for more than just their great location or...

Read more
 

Hostels in Rome Near the Train Station

There are plenty of places where you could spend a week - or even a month - taking in the sights non-stop and still have barely scratched the surface. Rome...

Read more
 

Venice Hostels on the Mainland

Most travel gurus recommend staying on the islands in Venice rather than the mainland if at all possible, especially if it's your first visit to the canal city, and there...

Read more
 

More articles