Hostals in Madrid: Another Budget Choice Besides Hostels

hostalsignOne of the first things you’ll probably notice when you start planning a budget trip to Madrid is that some of the people who run hostels seem to have trouble spelling the word “hostel.” See how they keep putting an “a” where the “e” should be? Weird…

As it turns out, they’re not misspelling anything. (And you didn’t really think they were, did you?) In fact, a “hostal” is a completely different entity than a “hostel” – although both are great options for budget-conscious travelers.

A “hostal” is also sometimes known as a a “residencia” or “residence,” and is more akin to a bare-bones guesthouse or B&B. They’re typically smaller (sometimes with only 5-7 rooms) and almost always are all private rooms – no dorms. Despite this, you can often find hostals offering prices lower than some bona fide hostels. So on this list, you’ll find some of the hostals in Madrid – which should be considered right alongside the hostels in Madrid!

Hostals in Madrid

Residencia Alvaro

The Residencia Alvaro is five minutes from the popular Plaza Mayor and many of Madrid’d top attractions, and you’ll likely feel like you’re staying with friends in Madrid rather than renting a room for a few nights. There are only seven rooms in the hostal, and each one holds two people each – so it’s a small group you’ll be sharing the common areas with, too.

Guests can make use of the fully equipped kitchen and washing machine (making this the perfect place to catch up on some of tha laundry in your backpack), and internet access is free. There’s a TV in the common area where you can chill out with other people staying in the hostal.

Hostal Graciela

Hostal Graciela is located in the historic center of Madrid in what are called the “old quarters,” which is only a short walk from the iconic Plaza Mayor and Puerta del Sol. The hostal is also helpfully situated so that you’re within walking distance of many of the top sights, including the Prado Museum.

All the rooms in Hostal Graciela have been renovated and although they’re nothing fancy, they’re clean and bright and have all the comforts a budget traveler needs – and then some. The rooms have private bathrooms, TV, and a balcony, and despite occupying space in an historic building there’s an elevator at your disposal.

Hostal Asuncion

Another hostal in central Madrid is Hostal Asuncion, which is situated roughly 10 minutes’ walking distance from the Puerta del Sol. The area around the hostal is mainly business-oriented, so it’s lively without being totally tourist-oriented. Additionally, there are many choices for restaurants and other places to eat around the hostal.

Each of the rooms at Hostal Asuncion has an individual bathroom, and the entire hostal is covered by WiFi – which is available free of charge. There’s a metro stop right outside the front door, and some of the rooms have balconies. Note that not all rooms have air conditioning, however.

Hostal Oliver

Located a short 50 meters from the popular Plaza Mayor and Puerta del Sol, you can’t get much more central than Hostal Oliver. This also means, of course, that you’ll be staying in a more boistrous area that won’t necessarily empty of tourists until the wee hours – but if you intend to be one of them, then that’s probably just fine!

Many of Madrid’s top sights are within walking distance of Hostal Oliver, which offers rooms that have air conditioning and a TV, and there’s even a kitchen available for guest use. WiFi is available for free, and they accept credit cards for payment.

Hostal Miralva

The Hostal Miralva is slightly larger than some of the other hostals listed in this article, with 12 rooms on offer, and it’s one of those places that’s blending a “hostal” with a “hostel” a bit in that there is an option for a dorm-style bed in addition to the private single and double rooms. Not all rooms have their own private bathroom, so you can save money if you go with one that has a shared bathroom.

Regardless of whether there’s a private bathroom, each bedroom has a wash basin in it, along with a TV. There’s a common area in the lobby where you can relax with other people staying at Hostal Miralva, but it’s probably going to be more comfortable for you to join your new friends out at a cafe or bar in the neighborhood around the hostal.

MuchoMadrid

MuchoMadrid actually calls itself a hostel, but that’s likely just to avoid confusing people (or to attract budget travelers). Either way, the fact is that this hostal has only 4 rooms, none of which has more than 5 beds – so it’s definitely more of a hostal than a hostel. It’s close to the action in Madrid, being right on the Gran Via.

One of the rooms is a female-only room, the other three are coed. Breakfast is available for free at MuchoMadrid, as are bed linens and towels. There’s a guest kitchen and a TV lounge where you can hang out with new friends, and the hostal is cleaned on a daily basis. Do note that there’s a 40 years age limit at MuchoMadrid.

photo by malias



Most popular hostels articles

Best Party Hostels in Rome

There are a million reasons to visit Rome - the history, the food, the art, the shopping, the food... And one of the things that's so great about a trip...

Read more
 

Budget Hotels Instead of Venice Hostels

Venice isn't a cheap city to visit, much less spend the night in - but in order to really experience the peaceful and even eerie side of this canal city,...

Read more
 

Best Party Hostels in New York

With a slogan like "the city that never sleeps," it's only fitting that many of the hostels in New York are popular for more than just their great location or...

Read more
 

Hostels in Rome Near the Train Station

There are plenty of places where you could spend a week - or even a month - taking in the sights non-stop and still have barely scratched the surface. Rome...

Read more
 

Venice Hostels on the Mainland

Most travel gurus recommend staying on the islands in Venice rather than the mainland if at all possible, especially if it's your first visit to the canal city, and there...

Read more
 

More articles