Hostels in Liverpool Near Anfield Stadium

anfieldThere are a million reasons people travel. Well, maybe not a million… But there are definitely more reasons than most of us would think of. There are those who want to soak up an area’s history by walking on ancient roads or trying to imagine ruins as they used to look. Wine and food lovers dedicate themselves to finding the best local restaurants (the ones where they’re the only tourists) and sampling regional delicacies. Some people just want to check major monuments off their lifetime “to-do” lists and move onto the next spot.

But one could argue that none of these groups has the same kind of passion for the object of their desire as the sports fan who’s traveling to another city to attend a game. Traveling sports fans are either making a beeline to a famous stadium to say they’ve seen a game in an iconic place, or they’re following their team to an away match. Either way, the singular nature of these fans’ obsession can’t be denied.

When it comes to sports venues, few football stadiums in England are as famous as Anfield in Liverpool. Home to Liverpool F.C., it’s the kind of place you might be advised to go even if you weren’t a major soccer fan or a Liverpool supporter. (Seeing a football game at Anfield might turn you into both.) Unfortunately, Anfield sits quite a distance from central Liverpool – so instead of booking a place to stay in the city center and making the major trek out to the stadium, you might want to consider staying in a hostel near Anfield. That kind of thing sure makes stumbling back from a game easier, doesn’t it?

As you’d expect, most of the hostels in Liverpool (heck, most of the accommodation options of any type in Liverpool) are located in the city center close to other attractions in the city rather than clustered around Anfield. But there are a few options you can consider that are closer to Anfield than others. Oh, and if you fancy a bit of Beatles history that’s also very close to Anfield, you can shell out to stay in Brian Epstein’s family home where his father grew up (and which has been turned into a hotel).

Liverpool Hostels Near Anfield Stadium

Ellan Vannin Guest House

While it’s obvious from the name of the Ellan Vannin Guest House that we’re talking here about a guest house and not a traditional hostel, guest houses in England (and elsewhere, for that matter) can be a great budget alternative to hostels – and this one is only two miles from Anfield, making it an even better alternative.

The Ellan Vannin Guest House is a fairly typical English guest house/B&B, offering comfortable private rooms and a breakfast. The main difference is that the breakfast option will cost you a few pounds (they’re usually included at an English B&B), while the continental breakfast is free of charge. Each room at the guest house has a TV, a small fridge, coffee/tea making equipment, and a microwave.

Everton Hostel

To start with, this is important – Liverpool fans, ignore the fact that Everton Hostel contains the name of your team’s cross-town rivals. The hostel is named after the neighborhood in Liverpool and the name of the street it’s on, not the team. Just keep in mind that the hostel is close to Anfield Stadium, and everything will be fine.

Everton Hostel covers four floors of the building and has both dorm-style rooms and some private rooms, so you can pick which best suits your travel style and budget at the time. This hostel offers long-term rentals in addition to short-term, and like a typical apartment building there’s no reception desk (so you’ve got to let them know when you’re arriving). Guests get free internet, free breakfast, free parking, and free WiFi.

Devonshire House Hotel

Another place to stay near Anfield that makes it instantly obvious that it’s not a hostel is the Devonshire House Hotel (no, they didn’t just leave the “s” out of their name). The hotel is a budget option, however, and its proximity to Anfield should be enough to make it one you’ll consider for your trip.

Guests of Devonshire House Hotel get all the amenities you’d expect from a hotel, and then some. There’s an on-site bar and restaurant, and TV and individually-controlled heating in every room. The hotel has WiFi, but it doesn’t reach all the rooms (ask to be sure your room’s covered by the signal, if that’s critical to you). But in addition to the usual things, the hotel is notable because it’s set on 1.5 acres of green space and gardens – so even if the game doesn’t go the way you’d like it to, you can relax and calm yourself with a walk around the hotel’s grounds.

Colebrooke House

This place is a little further from Anfield than some of the others on this list, but with the aforementioned lack of accommodation options nearby you sort of take what you can get. Colebrooke House is about 10 minutes by bus from Liverpool’s city center, and roughly 20 minutes from Anfield – so it could end up being the happy compromise location for a trip to Liverpool that includes both a game at Anfield and a visit to the city’s other sights.

Colebrooke House is more like a guest house or budget hotel than a hostel, but the prices are good enough to consider this an option for your stay. The owner is friendly and helpful, and the building is located on a quiet residential street (while still being close to a nice selection of bars and restaurants). A continental breakfast is free with your room, and internet access is available.

photo by Ian Wilson



Most popular hostels articles

Best Party Hostels in Rome

There are a million reasons to visit Rome - the history, the food, the art, the shopping, the food... And one of the things that's so great about a trip...

Read more
 

Budget Hotels Instead of Venice Hostels

Venice isn't a cheap city to visit, much less spend the night in - but in order to really experience the peaceful and even eerie side of this canal city,...

Read more
 

Best Party Hostels in New York

With a slogan like "the city that never sleeps," it's only fitting that many of the hostels in New York are popular for more than just their great location or...

Read more
 

Hostels in Rome Near the Train Station

There are plenty of places where you could spend a week - or even a month - taking in the sights non-stop and still have barely scratched the surface. Rome...

Read more
 

Venice Hostels on the Mainland

Most travel gurus recommend staying on the islands in Venice rather than the mainland if at all possible, especially if it's your first visit to the canal city, and there...

Read more
 

More articles