Most Famous Hostels in Europe

flyingpigNot all of us is going to be famous, or even have our supposedly-automatic 15 minutes of fame. Most of us will go through life without so much as making a blip on the radar of anyone outside our circle of friends and family – and that’s fine. But if you’d like to have a bit of a brush with fame, you don’t have to stalk Hollywood celebrities or make an ass of yourself trying out for American Idol. Instead, you can just choose one of Europe’s most famous hostels for your next trip!

Okay, so maybe that’s a bit of a stretch, but it probably won’t surprise you to learn that there are some pretty famous hostels in Europe. These are places that are well-known on the backpacker circuit, though not always for the same reasons. Sure, some of the famous hostels are a city’s legendary party hotspot, but some of the hostels that everyone talks about get their reputations because of the freebies they offer or their particularly nice facilities.

In other words, just because it’s on this list of famous Europe hostels doesn’t mean it’s party central. Read the descriptions below to find out what makes them famous.

Europe’s Most Famous Hostels

The Flying Pig – Amsterdam

You practically don’t even have to have started researching your trip yet before you’ve heard of The Flying Pig Hostel. It’s well-known as a social spot with a great on-site bar and a lax attitude toward smoking (whatever you’re smoking), which is notable now that the smoking laws have changed in Amsterdam. It’s located downtown (there’s another branch of the hostel in Amsterdam, but this is the one you want) a couple minutes from the Red Light District. In addition to the party-friendly atmosphere, The Flying Pig’s Downtown location is also a good choice because breakfast is free, linens are free, and internet/WiFi are free. It’s a good option if you’re traveling solo and want to make sure you’ll meet other like-minded folks.

>> book a hostel in Amsterdam

The Yellow – Rome

The toga party isn’t dead. You’ll find it on occasion at The Yellow Hostel in Rome, in fact, along with a host of other costume parties they host throughout the year. Even when there isn’t a party going on, however, the hostel is popular – and with good reason. The rooms are bright and clean, the on-site bar is Art Deco-cool, and the basement “chill out zone” is ideal for curling up with a book or getting into a video game showdown with friends. Staff at The Yellow lead pub crawls through Rome, and they’ll also point you in the direction of the best night hotspots if you’d rather strike out on your own. Internet access and WiFi are free at the hostel.

>> book a hostel in Rome

Jumbo Hostel – Stockholm

If you haven’t had enough of being inside an airplane by the time your travels bring you to Stockholm, then look no further than a stay at the Jumbo Hostel – it’s a hostel built into an old jet plane. No kidding. It’s located, as you might guess, at the airport (so not right downtown), but it’s so cool you might not care about the surroundings. There are 25 rooms in the hostel, many of which are dorm-style, but the “Cockpit Suite” is definitely the one to go for if you can afford it. It’s a private room in the old cockpit (duh), and it comes with its own private bathroom. Also on board the Jumbo Hostel is an on-site cafe and comfy common areas. WiFi is free, and breakfast is included with some of the rooms.

>> book a hostel in Stockholm

Czech Inn – Prague

Cutesy names aside, the Czech Inn Hostel in Prague is regularly listed in guidebooks as one of the top hostels in the city – and with good reason. It’s a modern hostel in a renovated 19th century building, and depending on how much privacy you want you can choose from a dorm bed, a private room, or a private apartment. The cool on-site cafe/bar offers free WiFi, and it’s also where you can get good prices on breakfast in the morning and drinks with friends in the evening. Czech Inn is located right on a tram line close to the city center, so you’re close to most of the things you’ve come to Prague to see and do as well.

>> book a hostel in Prague

Avalon House – Dublin

Avalon House isn’t just Dublin’s most famous hostel, it’s regularly listed as one of the top hostels in Europe. It’s a short 5 minutes from the boistrous Temple Bar neighborhood (close enough that you can be there and back in no time, far enough away that you won’t have to clear drunks from your doorway) and many of Dublin’s main attractions are also close by. The people who choose Avalon House are social, but they’re not intent on bringing the party back to their dorm rooms. The hostel offers free internet, free WiFi, free breakfast, free movie nights in their on-site theatre, and free daily walking tours of Dublin.

>> book a hostel in Dublin

Wombat’s City Hostel – Munich

Just about any hostel in the Wombat’s City Hostels chain is a good bet, but the one in Munich is especially great. It’s something of a blend between a traditional hostel and a budget hotel, so if you’re in need of a bit of privacy and have a little extra room in your budget you can book a private room and indulge in some backpacker-inspired luxury. The hostel is close to the main train station in Munich, so it’s easy getting in and out as well as getting around the city, and it’s notably within walking distance of the Oktoberfest grounds. The common areas at Wombat’s City Hostel include a chic glass-enclosed courtyard so you can enjoy the feeling of being outdoors even when it’s raining. Breakfast isn’t included, but you will get free linens, free WiFi in the lobby, and a free welcome drink in the hostel bar (the womBAR).

>> book a hostel in Munich

Kabul Backpackers – Barcelona

Barcelona’s most notable hostel is Kabul Backpackers, centrally located just off the famous Las Ramblas and right on the Plaza Real – so you won’t have far to go to find where everyone’s hanging out. It’s well-known for its social atmosphere (there aren’t any private rooms, for instance, so you’re forced into socializing whether you like it or not!), but unlike some of the more party-hearty hostels this one doesn’t have an age limit. There’s an on-site bar, and breakfast is included in the price at Kabul Backpackers. Internet access and WiFi are available for your convenience.

>> book a hostel in Barcelona

St. Christopher’s Village – London

If you’ve spent any time reading backpacker travel blogs or budget guidebooks, you’ve probably seen the name “St. Christopher’s” a few times – this prolific hostel chain has branches throughout Europe. St. Christopher’s Village is one of several in London alone, but as the flagship hostel of the chain it’s understandably the one that’s most famous. This hostel has one of the famous Belushi’s Bars that help make the chain so well-known, and it’s definitely a party hostel. In addition to being party central for its own guests, guests at other St. Christopher’s hostels in London tend to congregate at The Village, too – not least for the bar, the regular parties, and (get this) the rooftop pool. Oh, and there’s free WiFi, too.

>> book a hostel in London

The 3 Ducks Hostel – Paris

There are actually a few hostels in Paris that are known as party hotspots, but The 3 Ducks might just take the cake. Why? The on-site hostel bar is second to none, with more than 20 varieties of beer available – at some of the cheapest prices in the city. And that’s nothing to sneeze at. Other reasons to stay here include the free breakfast, free internet access, and lack of a curfew. So, yes, this is a party hostel, and it’s not exactly known for its peaceful atmosphere – but if you’re traveling on your own and you’d like some company or you’re with a socially outgoing group of friends, it could be the ideal choice.

>> book a hostel in Paris

photo by fatalfuj



Most popular hostels articles

Best Party Hostels in Rome

There are a million reasons to visit Rome - the history, the food, the art, the shopping, the food... And one of the things that's so great about a trip...

Read more
 

Budget Hotels Instead of Venice Hostels

Venice isn't a cheap city to visit, much less spend the night in - but in order to really experience the peaceful and even eerie side of this canal city,...

Read more
 

Best Party Hostels in New York

With a slogan like "the city that never sleeps," it's only fitting that many of the hostels in New York are popular for more than just their great location or...

Read more
 

Hostels in Rome Near the Train Station

There are plenty of places where you could spend a week - or even a month - taking in the sights non-stop and still have barely scratched the surface. Rome...

Read more
 

Venice Hostels on the Mainland

Most travel gurus recommend staying on the islands in Venice rather than the mainland if at all possible, especially if it's your first visit to the canal city, and there...

Read more
 

More articles