The Best Hostels in Morocco

morocco_medinaDespite what you might think, you don’t have to be a hard-core traveler to go to Africa. In fact, there are many places in Africa which are pretty easy to visit – some even as a daytrip from a European vacation, if you can believe it. One of the more popular countries in Africa to visit, and one that’s considered something of a good “entry level” place to begin your love affair with Africa, is Morocco.

Budget travelers love Africa for the simple reason that it’s typically much less expensive to travel there than it is in (for instance) Europe. But if you want to cut your costs even more, you’ll avoid the luxury hotels (even if they’re cheaper than you’re used to) and stick with hostels instead. You’ll be amazed at how inexpensively you can travel if you stay in Morocco hostels – not to mention the fact that you’ll have a better chance of meeting real people than if you sheltered yourself behind the walls of a 5-star hotel.

But you don’t want to stay in just any hostel, right? Of course not. So here are some of the best-rated hostels in Morocco, in some of the most popular destinations to visit. Keep in mind that these places may be more like guest houses than hostels (and often just go by the name “guest house” anyway), but they’re hostel-cheap and can be extremely charming as well.

The Best-Rated Morocco Hostels

Fes – Dar El Ma

Dar El Ma is a guest house is Fez (or Fes) that’s a cut above the rest. It occupies a traditional Moroccan house that’s been restored and renovated to keep much of the original charm. There’s a rooftop terrace (ideal for easing into the morning or relaxing after a busy day of sightseeing), and with only two rooms you know you’re going to get the most personal attention from the friendly staff.

Each room in the Dar El Ma guest house has its own private bathroom as well as a kitchenette, and the guest house also has a computer guests can use for internet acces. WiFi is included for free, as is use of the laundry equipment. The location is great for tourists who want to be right in the heart of everything, too – it’s in the middle of the medina on a side street which connects to both of the main streets in Fez.

>> book a hostel in Fes (Fez)

Marrakech – Riad Massine II

Another highly-rated hostel in Morocco is in the famous city of Marrakech – Riad Massine II is also a guest house, which is in a beautifully-restored Riad. It’s located in the midst of the souks in a residential area, not far from many of the city’s main attractions.

There’s room at Riad Massine II for up to 20 people, so this isn’t as small a guest house as the one listed above in Fes. Still, the staff offer lots of personal attention and help. Every room in the guest house has its own private bathroom, although only four of the rooms are air-conditioned. Guests can hang out inside the Riad, or outside on the patio or terrace – which are excellent places to recharge after a long day. Breakfast is available at the guest house.

>> book a hostel in Marrakech

Tangier – Dar Jameel

Tangier is one of those cities that can be experienced two ways – as a day-tripper from southern Spain, or as someone who books a room and gets away from the chaos of the port. To really see Tangier, it’s best to be the latter type. And a great option for your stay in Tangier is the Dar Jameel guest house. Situated less than 10 minutes from the city center as well as the port, it’s still far enough away to give you a peaceful refuge from the busy city.

With only 8 rooms, Dar Jameel guest house offers personal attention – and since only four of the rooms have private en-suite bathrooms, the other four are even cheaper. Each room is priced slightly differently, so you should be able to find one that suits your budget as well as your personal travel style. And even if you opt for a room that lacks a great view to save money, you can still enjoy the views from the guest house’s common areas – including a big terrace and a penthouse.

>> book a hostel in Tangier

Essaouira – Hostel Essaouira

Unlike the other properties on this list, the Essaouira Hostel is truly a traditional hostel. What’s more, it’s party central. So while it’s very well-rated (which is, after all, what this list is about), if you’re not coming to Essaouira to enjoy at least some of the nightlife offered at this hostel, you’d best look elsewhere for your bed. Although this hostel was designed to look like a traditional Riad, it’s not – it’s a modern hostel with everything from dorm-style rooms to an on-site hostel bar.

Essaouira Hostel has a high terrace with an excellent view, comfy communal areas (including a guest kitchen) that are great for relaxing and meeting new friends, and the friendly staff is always on hand to help you arrange for whatever sightseeing trips or adventures you’d like to do. Internet and WiFi are available for free, as are tours of the best local bars at night. There’s an age limit at this hostel – you’ll need to be between 18-45 to stay.

>> book a hostel in Essaouira

photo by Jules Antonio



Most popular hostels articles

Best Party Hostels in Rome

There are a million reasons to visit Rome - the history, the food, the art, the shopping, the food... And one of the things that's so great about a trip...

Read more
 

Budget Hotels Instead of Venice Hostels

Venice isn't a cheap city to visit, much less spend the night in - but in order to really experience the peaceful and even eerie side of this canal city,...

Read more
 

Best Party Hostels in New York

With a slogan like "the city that never sleeps," it's only fitting that many of the hostels in New York are popular for more than just their great location or...

Read more
 

Hostels in Rome Near the Train Station

There are plenty of places where you could spend a week - or even a month - taking in the sights non-stop and still have barely scratched the surface. Rome...

Read more
 

Venice Hostels on the Mainland

Most travel gurus recommend staying on the islands in Venice rather than the mainland if at all possible, especially if it's your first visit to the canal city, and there...

Read more
 

More articles