Top-Rated Mexico Hostels

mexicohostelsEven if a vacation to Mexico sounds like it’ll be all about the lap of luxury, it doesn’t have to cost a fortune to spend a little time lying on a Mexican beach or exploring the country’s stunning ruins. In fact, once you get to Mexico you can live pretty cheaply – so “living large” becomes an affordable endeavor.

Among the many ways to save money on a trip to Mexico, one big one is to stay in a hostel instead of a costly resort hotel. You may sacrifice things like concierge service or beachfront property, but a well-placed hostel will still give you easy access to all the best Mexico has to offer without charging a king’s ransom for it.

Admittedly, Mexico is better known for its high-end hotels than its budget accommodation options, but the biggest tourist destinations do have budget-friendly places to stay. Here’s a selection of some of the top-rated hostels in Mexico in some of those popular vacation spots. And if you’d like to expand your search, or you don’t see the place you’re visiting listed here, be sure to check out the rest of our Mexico hostels listings, too.

Acapulco: K3 Acapulco Youth Hostel

The name Acapulco conjures up images of Mexican vacations of yesteryear, but the town is still alive and kicking – and K3 Acapulco Youth Hostel makes a good homebase for a visit. The hostel is right across from one of the best spots for nightlife in the city on Condesa Beach, and you’ll find other tourist necessities nearby as well.

K3 Acapulco Youth Hostel has a private sun deck where you can kick back and relax after a hard day of lying on the beach, and a kitchenette where you can try your hand at re-creating Mexican specialties. A continental breakfast, air conditioning, and linens are all included with the price of the bed, and there’s internet access in the lobby.

>>book a hostel in Acapulco

Cancun: Hostel Quetzal

Cancun remains one of Mexico’s top beach destinations, but it doesn’t have to burn a hole in your pocketbook. Yes, there are plenty of choices in the resort hotel department, but Cancun also has several hostels worth checking out. Among them, one of the best rated hostels is Hostel Quetzal. The hostel is in the remodeled former home of a performing artist and every private room has an en suite bathroom and a private balcony or terrace.

Hostel Quetzal has one dorm-style room (which used to be the homeowner’s rehearsal space) which has its own en suite bathroom, and some of the conveniences you’ll enjoy as a guest at the hostel are a free hot breakfast, free internet, a private sun deck (with views over Cancun), in-house laundry service, and a guest kitchen.

>>book a hostel in Cancun

Cozumel: Hostelito

Cozumel is another popular beach vacation spot in Mexico, and it’s small enough that one of its top-rated hostels, Hostelito, is simultaneously in downtown Cozumel and also only two blocks away from the oceanfront. The hostel is also within walking distance of lots of tourist necessities, like restaurants, banks, and bars.

The big dorm at Hostelito is really big – 26 beds in one room – but there are private “dorm” options if you’ve got a small group of 4-6 people. Linens are included with every bed, and internet and WiFi are both available for an extra fee. If you’re interested in doing a diving or snorkeling tour in Cozumel, be sure to ask at the front desk as they may be able to get you a deal.

>> book a hostel in Cozumel

Mexico City: Mexico City Hostel

While many Mexico vacation hotspots are beach-oriented, the country’s capital city is decidedly not. It’s a jam-packed city full of life and lots of attractions. The historic center is where most tourists will want to spend most of their time, so it’s a good idea to find a place to stay that’s right in the heart of it all. And Mexico City Hostel is right in the city center.

Mexico City Hostel is a stone’s throw from the main square and the city’s cathedral, and the Colonial building housing the hostel features great outdoor patios where you can hang out with other travelers. There are both dorm-style rooms and private rooms, and linens, breakfast and internet access are included in the price.

>> book a hostel in Mexico City

Puerto Vallarta: Oasis Hostel

Yet another beach vacation destination in Mexico is Puerto Vallarta, but its best-rated hostel isn’t right on the beach. Instead, Oasis Hostel is in a “real Mexican neighborhood” – but one that’s still only a 15 minute walk from the town center and 15 minutes via public transport away from the beach. It’s a real family-run hostel, with a laid-back atmosphere.

Guests at Oasis Hostel benefit from the fact that it is run by a backpacking traveler, so it’s got all the things backpackers love to have in hostels – including a free breakfast and free cable internet access. There’s a guest kitchen and a TV lounge for chilling out in. Do note that this hostel has an age limit of 40 years old.

>> book a hostel in Puerto Vallarta

photo by bubblesandbugs



Most popular hostels articles

Best Party Hostels in Rome

There are a million reasons to visit Rome - the history, the food, the art, the shopping, the food... And one of the things that's so great about a trip...

Read more
 

Budget Hotels Instead of Venice Hostels

Venice isn't a cheap city to visit, much less spend the night in - but in order to really experience the peaceful and even eerie side of this canal city,...

Read more
 

Best Party Hostels in New York

With a slogan like "the city that never sleeps," it's only fitting that many of the hostels in New York are popular for more than just their great location or...

Read more
 

Hostels in Rome Near the Train Station

There are plenty of places where you could spend a week - or even a month - taking in the sights non-stop and still have barely scratched the surface. Rome...

Read more
 

Venice Hostels on the Mainland

Most travel gurus recommend staying on the islands in Venice rather than the mainland if at all possible, especially if it's your first visit to the canal city, and there...

Read more
 

More articles