Vancouver Hostels Near Chinatown

chinatownThe celebration of a new year is always going to be a good party, but many of us only think of the one that happens on December 31/January 1. Luckily, for those who like to mix a cultural event with a big celebration, there’s also the Chinese New Year to add to the calendar.

If you can’t be in China for the event, the next best thing is to find a vibrant Chinese community elsewhere in the world and join in the festivities. In North America, one of the best places you could find yourself is in Vancouver, British Columbia. So here are some hostels near Chinatown in Vancouver where you can make sure your bed won’t be too far from the action.

As an added bonus, Chinatown is right near downtown Vancouver, making these hostels ideally placed for any trip to this fantastic city – whether during the Chinese New Year or not. And if you don’t find what you’re looking for on this list, don’t hesitate to browse through the other hostels in Vancouver in our listings as well.

Hostels in Vancouver Near Chinatown

C&N Central Station Hostel

C&N is a hostel chain with a couple of locations right near Chinatown, including C&N Central Station Hostel. This one, as the name implies, is a short walk from both the central train station as well as the bus depot, so transport in and out of the city (as well as around the city) is easy to access. It’s also right across the street from where the Olympic village will be for the 2010 games, so it’ll likely be a hot property during the games themselves.

C&N Central Station is part of Vancouver’s oldest established hostel chain, and features both dorms and private rooms. There are guest kitchens, laundry failities, an on-site internet cafe, and free parking. There’s also an on-site restaurant and pub that are great for relaxing in or sharing a meal with new friends, and they’re both easy on a traveler’s budget.

C&N Backpackers Hostel

The other C&N Backpackers location in Vancouver is called simply C&N Backpackers Hostel, and it’s been in the same location on Main Street for 20 years. Everyone from young backpackers to traveling families on a budget are welcome, and the hostel’s location close to not only Chinatown but many of Vancouver’s outdoor activities makes it a great place to stay for outdoor enthusiasts, too.

Like its other Vancouver location, this C&N Backpackers Hostel offers free linen, free towels, and free high-speed internet access. You can rent bikes right from the hostel, and there are regular pub crawls from the hostel as well. The hostel is in an historic building dating from the early 1900s, and although it’s been updated significantly since then it remains primarily a simple yet comfortable (and affordable) hostel in Vancouver.

Pender Lodge

Pender Lodge is located not far from Vancouver’s Chinatown and also to the city’s main train station, making transportation in and out of the city (as well as around it) easy. It’s one of the more affordable hostels in Vancouver, making it hugely appealing to budget travelers, although some report that the neighborhood right around the hostel is less than lovely at night.

The interior of the hostel is clean and safe, and the staff is friendly and helpful. Local calls and internet access are available for free, and every single room has its own fridge and cable TV. If you’re looking for a cheap bed and don’t plan on hanging out in the city or returning to the hostel too late at night, then Pender Lodge is a good bet.

Grand Trunk Hostel

Downtown Vancouver is home to many hostels, including Grand Trunk Hostel. The hostel is also located across the street from a bus stop, as well as walking distance to Chinatown and several of the city’s main attractions. Regardless of the kind or size of room, every room has its own fridge and cable TV – and internet access is completely free to everyone.

The historic building housing the Grand Trunk Hostel has been remodeled to provide all the modern conveniences – but unlike many of the hostels in Vancouver, this one does not have its own on-site bar. There are enough bars in the area so that you can enjoy the city’s great nightlife, but with no hostel bar you can also be assured of a quieter night when you want to finally get some sleep.

Cambie Gastown Hostel

Another popular neighborhood in Vancouver (besides Chinatown) is Gastown – and as the name suggests, that’s where you’ll find Cambie Gastown Hostel. This is a particularly historic part of Vancouver, so not only is the hostel itself an old building, it’s surrounded by history and points of interest. The hostel is also close to city transportation, so you can visit other parts of town as well.

Cambie Gastown Hostel is a great option for budget travelers, because while you’re not necessarily paying a higher price for a bunch of things you don’t need or want, those things are available for a small extra charge if you decide you do want to do it. For instance, you can nosh on a muffin and some coffee for a light breakfast free of charge, or you can choose a continental hot breakfast for under $3. WiFi is free at the hostel, and don’t miss the party in the hostel’s on-site bar every night.

American Backpackers Hostel

While more and more hostels are changing the general idea of what makes a hostel by removing any age restrictions, some still have age restrictions – including American Backpackers Hostel near Gastown in Vancouver. Often, these age restrictions aren’t meant to be exclusionary, they’re just meant to tell travelers who want a good night’s sleep or a quiet place to crash that this might not be the hostel for them! The age restriction at American Backpackers Hostel is 17-35 years.

As mentioned, the hostel is very close to Gastown in downtown Vancouver, and not far from Chinatown as well. And, to bolster the argument that this is not a “quiet” hostel, every Saturday night the hostel offers free beer to guests. If that’s not the definition of a good time (but not a quiet one), then we don’t know what is.

photo by scazon



Most popular hostels articles

Best Party Hostels in Rome

There are a million reasons to visit Rome - the history, the food, the art, the shopping, the food... And one of the things that's so great about a trip...

Read more
 

Budget Hotels Instead of Venice Hostels

Venice isn't a cheap city to visit, much less spend the night in - but in order to really experience the peaceful and even eerie side of this canal city,...

Read more
 

Best Party Hostels in New York

With a slogan like "the city that never sleeps," it's only fitting that many of the hostels in New York are popular for more than just their great location or...

Read more
 

Hostels in Rome Near the Train Station

There are plenty of places where you could spend a week - or even a month - taking in the sights non-stop and still have barely scratched the surface. Rome...

Read more
 

Venice Hostels on the Mainland

Most travel gurus recommend staying on the islands in Venice rather than the mainland if at all possible, especially if it's your first visit to the canal city, and there...

Read more
 

More articles