- Current Age?
- Where do you live now?
San Francisco, California, USA
retired deputy sheriff
- When it comes to travel accommodation (but leaving out crashing with friends, family or people you meet on the road), how often do you stay in hostels?
Sometimes a hostel, sometimes a hotel or B&B, etc
- Where have you hosteled?
- Would you stay in a hostel again on future trips?
- Out of all your experiences hosteling, what was your:
- Best Moment
- Worst Moment
- Biggest Hurdle, Obstacle or Difficulty?
- Biggest surprise?
- Best Moment
- Do you ever book any of your hostel accommodation in advance?
- Why or why not?
If I have a chance to I do for piece of mind.
- Who is the most memorable person you met in a hostel and why?
Not one but four guys (see above) travelling around the world. A year later we still e-mail regularly and I have been invited to come stay with them when I am in UK.
- Why do you stay in hostels, as opposed to other types of accommodation?
Great places to meet other travellers, cheap, fun, usually a really good atmosphere.
- Is there a hostel you'd recommend to other travelers? If so, what is it and where?
Monterey Youth Hostel, Monterey, USA
- What is the biggest myth people have about hostels and hosteling?
That only young people stay there.
- Why do you like to travel?
Why not? It's the best thing in the world, meeting new people and seeing other cultures.
- What is your advice for other travelers wanting to stay in hostels?
Keep an open mind and you will be pleasantly surprised (oh, and bring earplugs for sleeping).