Rome Hostels Near Vatican City

Rome is one of those cities that’s on just about every backpacker’s must-see list, but it’s also in a country that’s not always the cheapest to travel in. So staying in a Rome hostel is a really good idea if you’re looking to save money. Unfortunately for those of us who like a little charming atmosphere with our cheap accommodation, most of the best-known hostels in Rome are within stumbling distance of Termini Station – which isn’t exactly the most picturesque part of town.

If you want to stay in a hostel in Rome that’s not right outside the train station, however, you’re in luck. Rome’s a big city, and while there are a few hostels scattered here and there, there are quite a few hostels near Vatican City. And you can’t visit Rome without spending a day at the Vatican, so why not make it a visit you can do with a short walk from your hostel?

Here are a few of the notable hostels in and around Vatican City.

>> And if none of these strike your fancy, or you just want to see what else is out there, check through the listings for the other hostels in Rome.

Happy Days Hostel

At just a ten minute walk from the Vatican, Happy Days Hostel is very close to Vatican City. There’s a common room for socializing and a full equipped guest kitchen, so you can share meals with any new friends you make. The hostel also provides free internet access to guests.

Despite being located near Catholic HQ, the hostel’s owners are happy to tell you about their favorite nighttime hotspots in Rome and give you a map so you can find your way there and back! Note the hostel is cash only upon arrival, and there’s an age restriction – you must be 18-38 in order to stay.

Address: Via Cola di Rienzo 217, 5th floor
What’s Included: Linens, internet
What Costs Extra: Towels, luggage storage

Pensione Ottaviano Hostel

Pensione Ottaviano Hostel has been operating in Rome since 1956, so they know what they’re doing. They’re not far from St. Peter’s Square, and the neighborhood around the hostel has restaurants, cafes, and markets nearby.

There’s no curfew at this hostel, and there are several perks included for free, but you’ll need to pay for your whole stay in cash upon arrival and be between 13-40 to stay in the dorm-style rooms.

Address: Via Ottaviano 6
What’s Included: Linens, internet
What Costs Extra: Towels

Hotel Colors

The Hotel Colors is part hostel, part hotel, and is managed by the same folks who run the Enjoy Rome hostel. There are both private and dorm-style rooms, so you can choose whichever you’re most comfortable with. The hostel/hotel is just north of the Vatican.

A nice continental breakfast is included with the price if you’re staying in a private room, and there’s a guest kitchen with free cereal, tea, and coffee if you’re staying in the dorms. The dorms have an age restriction of 18-40 years, and payment is due in cash only upon arrival.

Address: Via Boezio 31
What’s Included: Linens, towels, breakfast (in private rooms only)
What Costs Extra: Internet

BellaRoma Hostel

BellaRoma Hostel is both close to St. Peter’s Square and just a few stops on the Metro from Termini Station, so it’s easy to get around the city. There are private rooms and dorm-style beds available at this hostel, although there’s an age restriction for the dorms (13-40).

You’ll need to pay for your stay in cash when you arrive, and note that there’s a lockout period during the middle of the day for cleaning purposes.

Address: Via E. Accinni 63
What’s Included: Linens, internet
What Costs Extra: Towels

Youth Hostel Foro Italico

The Youth Hostel Foro Italico isn’t an easy walk from the Vatican, but it’s on the right side of the city – and it’s close to the Olympic stadium, so it’s ideal if you’re in Rome for a football match! This hostel is an HI facility, so non-HI members will pay a supplement.

Because it’s a bit further from the city, this hostel has an on-site restaurant and bar to make your life a little easier, and they also rent out bicycles so you can get around.

Address: Viale Delle Olimpiadi, 61
What’s Included: Linens
What Costs Extra: Towels, internet

Orsa Maggiore

If you’re going to stay in a hostel near the Vatican, why not make it a former convent? The Orsa Maggiore hostel is an excellent option in this regard, housed in a 16th century building – but because it’s still in the International Women’s House, it’s a hostel for women only. Sorry, boys.

The hostel is steps from the Tiber River in the charming Trastevere neighborhood, and offers all kinds of free perks – including breakfast, internet access, and WiFi. There’s an on-site restaurant and a private garden where you can relax. There is a 3am curfew.

Address: Via San Francesco di Sales 1/a
What’s Included: Linens, towels, breakfast, internet, WiFi
What Costs Extra: Laundry service

Vatican City photo at the top by vgm8383



Most popular hostels articles

Best Party Hostels in Rome

There are a million reasons to visit Rome - the history, the food, the art, the shopping, the food... And one of the things that's so great about a trip...

Read more
 

Budget Hotels Instead of Venice Hostels

Venice isn't a cheap city to visit, much less spend the night in - but in order to really experience the peaceful and even eerie side of this canal city,...

Read more
 

Best Party Hostels in New York

With a slogan like "the city that never sleeps," it's only fitting that many of the hostels in New York are popular for more than just their great location or...

Read more
 

Hostels in Rome Near the Train Station

There are plenty of places where you could spend a week - or even a month - taking in the sights non-stop and still have barely scratched the surface. Rome...

Read more
 

Venice Hostels on the Mainland

Most travel gurus recommend staying on the islands in Venice rather than the mainland if at all possible, especially if it's your first visit to the canal city, and there...

Read more
 

More articles