Venice Hostels on the Mainland

Most travel gurus recommend staying on the islands in Venice rather than the mainland if at all possible, especially if it’s your first visit to the canal city, and there are plenty of good reasons to listen to that advice. But even the hostels in Venice on the islands aren’t always cheap, and many are only open during the summer. Plus, if you’ve been to Venice before and you want surroundings that are a bit less theme-park and a bit more real-life, then a Venice hostel on the mainland is a perfectly good option.

If you’re going to stay in a mainland hostel in Venice but you still want to spend most of your time on the islands themselves, be sure that the hostel is close to a bus or train station so you can get back and forth easily. Also, you’ll notice that most of the options listed below have the word “camping” in the title. Don’t be alarmed – this isn’t roughing it like you might expect. These “campgrounds” are more like budget resorts, complete with swimming pools and on-site restaurants, where you don’t even need to bring a tent or a sleeping bag.

>> For other options (on the mainland or islands), search through these Venice hostels.

Plus Camping Jolly

When you read that Plus Camping Jolly offers “more than your average hostel,” you should take it seriously. This place makes camping luxurious. There are private cabins or dorm-style cabins or house tents, most of which have private bathrooms, and there’s a lovely outdoor swimming pool for guest use during the summer.

On the grounds you’ll find a restaurant and a bar, not to mention a mini-supermarket and an internet cafe. There’s a private shuttle which will get you to the Venice islands, or you can take public transportation and be there in 20 minutes.

Location: Via G. de Marchi, 7 30175 Marghera
What’s Included: Linens, parking, fitness center, swimming pool
What Costs Extra: Laundry, internet

Nuova Locanda Belvedere

Although the Nuova Locanda Belvedere is technically a hotel, it offers seriously great prices for anyone looking to be near Venice, so it’s worth checking out. The hotel is a short five minute walk from the Mestre train station, which is one stop from the train station that’s on the Venetian islands.

Some of the rooms in the hotel have a TV, and some have WiFi access. There’s an on-site restaurant and bar, and parking is available for free. And while Venice itself doesn’t have much of a nightlife to speak of, the same can’t be said for the mainland – there’s a big nightclub a short walk from the hotel’s front door.

Location: Via Mezzacapo 1 Marghera
What’s Included: Linens, towels, parking
What Costs Extra: WiFi, internet

Plus Alba D’Oro Camping

Another of the “Plus” family of campgrounds in Italy, the Plus Alba D’Oro Camping village offers many of the same features and perks of other Plus villages. This one is located about 30 minutes via public transport from the Venetian islands, and has a private shuttle which can also get you back & forth (during the high season only).

There are cabins and house tents available as both privates and dorm-style rooms, and most of them have private bathrooms. There’s a swimming pool open during hte summer, and a restaurant, internet cafe, small supermarket, and laundry facilities available on-site. The bar also hosts regular parties during the high season.

Location: Via Triestina 214/b 30030 Ca’noghera
What’s Included: Linens, swimming pool
What Costs Extra: Towels

Camping Della Serenissima

Not only is Camping Della Serenissima an easy bus trip away from the Venetian islands, it also boasts 20,000 square meters of budget resort goodness. The lodging is mainly in mobile homes, although there are some cabins available as well, and most are private (not all have en suite bathrooms, however).

The campground facilities include on-site laundry, a bar, BBQ area, a children’s play area, a small market, and a pizzeria. Parking is free, and you can rent bikes to enjoy local rides along the river Brenta.

Location: Via Padana 334/a, SR 11 (Padua-Venice), km 412
What’s Included: Linens, parking, cleaning
What Costs Extra: Towels

Venice Rooms

For something between a hostel and a whole apartment rental, Venice Rooms is a good option. It’s a set of rooms for rent in a relatively new building on the Venice mainland, 15-20 minutes from the islands via the bus which stops a few meters from the front door.

You’ll need to bring your own towels, and there’s no services to speak of, but the rooms are functional and the price is great for budget travelers.

Location: Via Casona 23-C/1
What’s Included: Linens, internet
What Costs Extra:

Camping Fusina

Camping Fusina is located 15 minutes away from Venice’s islands by boat, and the “boat stop” is a short 100 meters from the campground’s front gate. There’s also a bus stop at the front gate to get you back and forth from the islands, too, if you prefer.

This camping village features an on-site restaurant, bar, beer garden, mini-market, internet cafe, and laundromat – and there are often beach parties and karaoke parties in the bar during the high season. Airport transfers are optional for a small additional fee.

Location: Via Moranzani 93 Fusina, 30030
What’s Included: Linens
What Costs Extra: Towels, internet

Check out more hostels in Venice on EuropeanHostels.

Venice photo at the top by Michael Kesler



Most popular hostels articles

Best Party Hostels in Rome

There are a million reasons to visit Rome - the history, the food, the art, the shopping, the food... And one of the things that's so great about a trip...

Read more
 

Budget Hotels Instead of Venice Hostels

Venice isn't a cheap city to visit, much less spend the night in - but in order to really experience the peaceful and even eerie side of this canal city,...

Read more
 

Best Party Hostels in New York

With a slogan like "the city that never sleeps," it's only fitting that many of the hostels in New York are popular for more than just their great location or...

Read more
 

Hostels in Rome Near the Train Station

There are plenty of places where you could spend a week - or even a month - taking in the sights non-stop and still have barely scratched the surface. Rome...

Read more
 

New York Hostels Near Central Park

New York City is one of the most interesting cities on earth, and offers an incredible variety of experiences - so it's a top destination no matter what you're into....

Read more
 

More articles