Amsterdam Hostels in the Red Light District

amsterdamrldBetween Amsterdam’s notoriously permissive culture regarding prostitution and its many coffeeshops selling marijuana-laced brownies, you might think that any of the hostels in the Red Light District would really not be meant for anyone but the hard-core party crowd. But if you thought that, you’d be wrong. Like many things in Amsterdam, the Red Light District is more complicated than it first appears.

Sure, there are things about Amsterdam that make the whole city a little more of a party scene than some other places, but some of the Red Light District hostels in Amsterdam are quite unlike the party vibe you might expect. Not only that, there are some parts of this historic part of the city that aren’t all about prostitutes doing window shows. (No, really.) So you can even book a room in some of these Amsterdam hostels in the Red Light District and not really know you’re in the Red Light District at all.

>> In the end, if you decide you don’t want to stay in the RLD, there are more hostels in Amsterdam you can choose from.

Amsterdam Hostels in the Nice Part of the Red Light District

St. Christopher’s Hostel at the Winston

Backpackers in the know will recognize the name of this hostel, as it’s part of the well-known and very well-liked St. Christopher’s chain. The Amsterdam location is called St. Christopher’s at the Winston, and it’s a combination hostel and hotel which is in the Red Light District but in a part where there aren’t any sex shops or window-prostitutes on the same street. (They’re right around the corner, though.)

The Amsterdam St. Chritopher’s is friendly and fun and does have a bit of a party vibe (largely thanks to its on-site bar and private patio where you can smoke to your heart’s content), but it’s basically just a lively hostel with a great location that won’t break the bank.

Durty Nelly’s

Don’t let the name fool you – there’s really nothing dirty about Durty Nelly’s hostel in Amsterdam. This Red Light District hostel is just down the street from St. Christopher’s, so it’s also a short walk from the sex shops, sex shows, and prostitutes in windows – but the hostel itself is on a perfectly pleasant street and it’s not even really a party hostel. Also like St. Christopher’s, it’s a combination hotel & hostel, so you can choose how much privacy you’d like.

Durty Nelly’s has an on-site bar which is fun, but that’s basically the only “common area” the hostel has – so socializing in a non-bar setting isn’t really possible (unless you fancy hanging out in the dorm rooms). Still, it’s a good location and a good deal, and it has the benefit of not having a party reputation if you’d like to actually get some sleep at all during your trip.

White Tulip

Another Red Light District hostel in Amsterdam that’s on the same street as both St. Christopher’s and Durty Nelly’s is the White Tulip. This hostel-filled street is, incidentally, pedestrian-only (so very visitor-friendly – especially if you’re stumbling home late at night) and lined with plenty of options in the coffeeshop and bar department. The hostel does have its own bar as well – this one’s an Irish pub – where you can also get a meal.

Despite having an Irish pub on the ground floor, the White Tulip isn’t known as much of a party hostel and it’s also not terribly smoker-friendly – which may be exactly what you’re looking for! When there are so many options in the area for socializing and partying, these cheap beds could give you a bit the peace and quiet you’ll need to recuperate.

Amsterdam Hostels in the Sex District Part of the Red Light District

Bulldog Hostel & Hotel

The Bulldog Hostel & Hotel is probably the most popular of the Red Light District hostels right in the sex district part. It’s definitely a party hostel, and has its own on-site bar, and it’s one of the hostels in Amsterdam that’s very smoker-friendly with its own smoking lounge. There are other Bulldog coffeeshops in Amsterdam, though the others don’t have hotels attached.

The street that the Bulldog Hostel is on is one of the Red Light District streets which is lined with sex shops, and you’ll have no trouble spotting the prostitutes you’ll have to walk by to get to and from the hostel’s front door. There should be no worries about safety in the neighborhood or in the hostel, however, and the beds are a good price.

Heart of Amsterdam

Heart of Amsterdam is placed not only right in the middle of the Red Light District, but also in the heart of the sex district part of the city. So, if you equate the Red Light District with Amsterdam, then you’ll think the name of the hostel is perfectly appropriate!

Although the Heart of Amsterdam hostel is fun and has interesting individually-decorated rooms, the party isn’t found inside – you’ll have to party elsewhere. And because of the location, this is one of the hostels that you probably don’t want to book if walking by prostitutes and sex shops every day isn’t something you’re comfortable with.

Hostel the Globe

What do you get when you combine a party location with a party hostel? You get Hostel the Globe in Amsterdam’s Red Light District. It’s right in the middle of the sex district, so the hostel is surrounded not only by prostitutes and sex shops but also by coffeeshops and bars. The hostel itself even has an on-site bar that’s open 24 hours a day, so the party never has to stop.

Hostel the Globe might be perfect for you if you’re not intending to sleep much in Amsterdam anyway and you’re secretly (or not-so-secretly) intrigued by the prospect of dodging hookers to get to and from the hostel, and the prices are good, but given the mediocre ratings this place gets you might still want to consider other places before this one.

photo by pawelbak



Most popular hostels articles

Best Party Hostels in Rome

There are a million reasons to visit Rome - the history, the food, the art, the shopping, the food... And one of the things that's so great about a trip...

Read more
 

Budget Hotels Instead of Venice Hostels

Venice isn't a cheap city to visit, much less spend the night in - but in order to really experience the peaceful and even eerie side of this canal city,...

Read more
 

Best Party Hostels in New York

With a slogan like "the city that never sleeps," it's only fitting that many of the hostels in New York are popular for more than just their great location or...

Read more
 

Hostels in Rome Near the Train Station

There are plenty of places where you could spend a week - or even a month - taking in the sights non-stop and still have barely scratched the surface. Rome...

Read more
 

Venice Hostels on the Mainland

Most travel gurus recommend staying on the islands in Venice rather than the mainland if at all possible, especially if it's your first visit to the canal city, and there...

Read more
 

More articles