Milan Hostels Near the Central Train Station

milanstationTo be perfectly honest, there’s a reason why you’ll read in many travel guides – for many different destinations – that you might want to stay in a part of the town that’s not right next to the main train station. The neighborhoods that generally surround train stations aren’t the best parts of the city, and in some cases they can feel downright weird after dark (especially for women traveling alone).

Milan is one of the cities in that category, where the area around the main station isn’t very pretty or nice, and has been known to make single female travelers uncomfortable. Still, if you’ve got an early train to catch or a late arrival coming into town, sometimes it’s just easier to stay as close to the station as possible.

And really, the neighborhood around Milan’s Stazione Centrale isn’t as bad as some might make you think, either. Most people have no issues getting around the station, even at night, and if you’re someone who travels well and is aware of your surroundings you’ll likely be just fine.

So, if you’re one of the people who needs quick access to the Central Station in Milan (or you just get a kick out of the more colorful parts of a city), here are a few Milan hostels near the Stazione Centrale. Most of the true hostels are still going to be a short tram or bus ride from the station, so we’ve included a couple budget hotels near the station for good measure.

Hostels Near the Central Station in Milan

Sweet Hostel

While Sweet Hostel is near the central station in Milan, it’s actually toward the back of the station (where the trains come in), so it’s still probably easier to hop on the Metro (there’s a stop very close to the hostel) to get to and from the station. (It’s a 10-15 minute walk, if you’d rather do that.) This place is a hostel, however, not just a budget hotel marketing itself as a hostel, so if it’s dorm-style rooms you’re looking for then this is more up your alley.

Sweet Hostel has no curfew and the reception desk is staffed 24 hours a day to make it easy to come and go, as well as for your security. Breakfast is included with the price of the bed, and there’s a common area that includes some kitchen conveniences for guest use. Near the hostel there are bars which the staff can tell you about where you can enjoy Milan’s version of “happy hour” – free all-you-can-eat buffets with the purchase of a drink.

Hostel Galla

Hostel Galla is one of the hostels on this list that’s only really “relatively close” to the central station – it’s in the same part of the city, and it’s a short trip via the Metro, but it’s technically closer to Milan’s Lambrate Station than it is to Stazione Centrale. Still, as one of Milan’s few hostels, it’s at least worth looking at (especially if you’re not enthusiastic about staying right next to the central station).

This hostel is really convenient if you’re in Milan to study at one of the universities which have their campuses near the hostel, so even if you’re just passing through as a visitor you may get to meet up with local students. Hostel Galla is a short walk to a Metro station, from which you can reach just about anything in the city you want to see, and there’s WiFi available.

Hotel Central Station

As the name suggests, Hotel Central Station is right at the Stazione Centrale in Milan – it’s a 2-minute walk from the station to the hotel. This is a 1-star hotel, so it’s definitely budget-friendly, but it’s not a traditional hostel. You’ll find hotel amenities here, although not at business hotel standards. For instance, not all the rooms in the hotel have private en suite bathrooms (the cheaper ones are the rooms with shared bathrooms).

Hotel Central Station has WiFi available both at reception and in the rooms, and the reception desk is staffed 24 hours a day (which is really handy for those early departures or late arrivals). Each room has a TV and a telephone, and luggage storage is available for free if you need to check-out before you’re ready to leave the city. There’s no breakfast at the hotel, however, but that’s okay – there’s a place to get coffee every 30 feet or so in Milan!

Hotel Sabatino Milan

The Hotel Sabatino Milan calls itself both a hotel and hostel. It’s a 2-star hotel, and it’s only five minutes from the Stazione Centrale, but it’s absolutely a hotel. They’re calling themselves a hostel primarily to attract budget travelers, and this is certainly a budget-friendly option near the station. And with only 10 rooms, you’ll get plenty of personalized service.

Hotel Sabatino costs more than a hostel (because, as mentioned, it’s not a hostel), but for a couple traveling together or a few friends who don’t mind sharing a room, it could be a decent option. There’s an internet point in the lobby, or WiFi is available, and the hotel has a standard hotel continental breakfast available as well.

photo by LHOON



Most popular hostels articles

Best Party Hostels in Rome

There are a million reasons to visit Rome - the history, the food, the art, the shopping, the food... And one of the things that's so great about a trip...

Read more
 

Budget Hotels Instead of Venice Hostels

Venice isn't a cheap city to visit, much less spend the night in - but in order to really experience the peaceful and even eerie side of this canal city,...

Read more
 

Best Party Hostels in New York

With a slogan like "the city that never sleeps," it's only fitting that many of the hostels in New York are popular for more than just their great location or...

Read more
 

Hostels in Rome Near the Train Station

There are plenty of places where you could spend a week - or even a month - taking in the sights non-stop and still have barely scratched the surface. Rome...

Read more
 

Venice Hostels on the Mainland

Most travel gurus recommend staying on the islands in Venice rather than the mainland if at all possible, especially if it's your first visit to the canal city, and there...

Read more
 

More articles