Top-Rated Hostels in Brussels

brusselsBrussels may not be the first place you think to visit on your European vacation if you’re not a business traveler, but the Belgian capital is a busy city with a pretty (if small) historic center. And really, for anyone who likes traveling off the beaten path in order to avoid the bulk of the tourist hordes, visiting a place that’s not really on the radar for most tourists is a good thing.

Because Brussels is the headquarters for many businesses as well as for European Union government offices, it’s a place that’s most frequented by business and government travelers who are often on expense accounts. In other words, cheap beds in Brussels aren’t always easy to come by – especially if there’s a business or EU conference going on. But if you’re visiting on a weekend (when the business travelers have gone home) or between conferences, you can sometimes get rooms in nicer hotels at a steep discount.

For those of you who happen to time your trip during a big conference or trade show, or who are in town during on a weeknight when all the business travelers are as well, don’t worry. There are some hostels in Brussels, too. And for those of who you want more from your hostel than just a cheap bed, here’s a list of the top-rated hostels in Brussels.

Brussels Top-Rated Hostels

2GO4 Quality Hostel

Situated right in downtown Brussels, the 2GO4 Quality Hostel is not only a great option from a location standpoint, it’s also one of the highest-rated hostels in the city by previous guests. Pretty much everything you’ll want to see and do in Brussels is within a short walk from the hostel’s front door, including a host of restaurants, bars, and nightclubs for some non-sightseeing entertainment options.

There are both dorm-style rooms and private rooms at 2GO4 Quality Hostel, and although there’s an age limit for the dorms (45 years) there isn’t one for the private rooms. So you can be an older budget traveler and still take advantage of the social atmosphere (not to mention the deals) at this hostel. Linens are included with any booking, although towels are only free in the private rooms. In the dorms, you’ll rent a towel for €1 (or bring your own).

Generation Europe Youth Hostel

Another highly-rated hostel in Brussels doesn’t necessarily have a central downtown location going for it, but it’s definitely got other perks. Generation Europe Youth Hostel is roughly a 15-minute walk from Brussels’ city center, so if you want the sights of the city at your doorstep this isn’t the best choice. It is, however, located near a park as well as a metro station – so you have easy access to the metro to get around, and the park for some non-city respite.

There are 40 rooms in Generation Europe Youth Hostel and the largest dorms only have eight beds in them, so you won’t find them to be gigantic or institutional. The on-site amenities include a cafeteria for budget-friendly dining, a BBQ area where you can cook up your own meals, and common areas with TV, board games, and even table tennis.

Sleephere

Sleephere is another of Brussels’ top-rated hostels, and it’s not just winning points for its bluntly amusing name. This place is technically a guest house rather than a hostel, and it’s very small with only four rooms available – but guests enjoy having the run of the house, and you’re likely to feel more like you’ve rented a house with some new friends for your stay in Brussels.

Located in a quiet residential area of Brussels, Sleephere is about 15 minutes from the city center. And unlike most guest houses, this one has both private rooms and one dorm-style room with five beds, where you don’t have to book the entire room. Everyone staying at Sleephere can use the common areas, including a full kitchen, a private garden area, and a living room with a TV. Internet access is also available, and included with the price.

Hostel Grand Place

Back in the historic city center is another top-rated Brussels hostel – Hostel Grand Place. As the name suggests, it’s situated quite close to the city’s big market square, Grand Place, and within walking distance of many of the city’s main attractions. Also close by is a wide selection of restaurants, cafes, pubs, and night clubs.

Hostel Grand Place is run by the same folks who run the aforementioned 2GO4 hostel – but it’s not exactly the same thing in a different location. In fact, all the rooms at Hostel Grand Place are private rooms, so it’s probably more akin to a budget hotel than a hostel, but the rates are comparable to the private rooms in other hostels. You’ll need to check in at 2GO4 even if you’ve booked a room at Hostel Grand Place, so head for 2GO4 first.

Sleep Well

Sleep Well (what is it with the hostels in Brussels and their blunt names?) is a hostel located in central Brussels, “a stone’s throw” from the Grand Place. The hostel occupies a newer building, so although you’ll be surrounded by what’s left of the historic part of the city you’ll have all the modern amenities you’d want at the hostel (including an elevator in the building).

There’s no age limit at Sleep Well hostel in general, although they ask that if you’re over 35 or traveling with children that you book a private room instead of a dorm bed. There’s an on-site bar and restaurant, and other common areas include a pool table and a TV/movie lounge. Bike rentals are available at the hostel, and a continental breakfast is available for free each morning.

photo by Mishkabear



Most popular hostels articles

Best Party Hostels in Rome

There are a million reasons to visit Rome - the history, the food, the art, the shopping, the food... And one of the things that's so great about a trip...

Read more
 

Budget Hotels Instead of Venice Hostels

Venice isn't a cheap city to visit, much less spend the night in - but in order to really experience the peaceful and even eerie side of this canal city,...

Read more
 

Best Party Hostels in New York

With a slogan like "the city that never sleeps," it's only fitting that many of the hostels in New York are popular for more than just their great location or...

Read more
 

Hostels in Rome Near the Train Station

There are plenty of places where you could spend a week - or even a month - taking in the sights non-stop and still have barely scratched the surface. Rome...

Read more
 

Venice Hostels on the Mainland

Most travel gurus recommend staying on the islands in Venice rather than the mainland if at all possible, especially if it's your first visit to the canal city, and there...

Read more
 

More articles